Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Red States Endorse Child Brutality


Just kidding. But a new survey by SurveyUSA has illustrated yet another philosophical divide in our country in the issue of corporal punishment.

The survey covers three different forms of physical punishment: parental spankings, teacher spankings, and mouth washing. The right of parents to spank their children received widespread support, especially in Alabama, where it had an 87% approval rating. It's worst support came from Vermont, which still gave it a reasonable 55% approval rating.

However, the most interesting contrast came with the issue of teachers spanking children. Arkansas took the lead with a 53% approval rating, which was 20 percentage points higher than 10th place Indiana, and 45 points higher than last place New Hampshire. What could account for these enormous differences? Perhaps the People of New Hampshire are the true conservatives, who distrust large government and see a danger posed by granting teachers, who are officials of the government, the right to discipline their kids.

The state that loves mouth washing the most is Idaho. From what I've heard, it hasn't paid off. The People of Idaho are as obscene as the People of Hawaii or Massachusetts, which only gave the punishment a 25% approval rating.

Here is another survey that discusses corporal punishment disagreements between men and women, blacks and whites.

Here is a link to project No Spank. Guess where they stand on the issue.

5 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jeff Faria said...

I'm sure I'd want to comment on this post, except that the white type against the beige/green background is pretty tough to read.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Although your comment concerns me, as I obviously want the text to be reader friendly, I'm also concerned about your color identification. My friend, our background cannot be construed as beige, it's green. In fact, it's relatively dark green. And the type isn't white, it's light green. However, I will check with other readers and see what the concensus is.

- Jersey Perspective

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Steve Baker said...

great post. I don't agree with either of you on the color. On my computer it's a blue. But I would say that if any of the readers have trouble reading it, you should re-jigger.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger DBK said...

It shows up on mine just as Jack describes. I'm using Firefox, by the way (that's the browser, for those who don't know from browsers). Might be a browser thing or your browser settings.

I'm not big on spanking, and am dead set against teachers spanking kids, but I do think parents should have the option to spank. You can't just spank a kid for any minor infraction, though. I've been out of grammar school for almost 35 years, so you know I grew up in a different era; I don't remember anyone ever being spanked by a teacher in my grammar school. One the other hand, I did get a few spankings from my folks as a child and I don't bear any resentment or anger towards my parents for it.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

That doesn't surprise me at all. I personally haven't had the need to spank my kid (yet). But I certainly would NOT want a teacher doing it.

Green background with light green type here. Can see it perfectly clearly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters Who Links Here Listed on BlogShares