Saturday, October 01, 2005

Why Corzine?

Sharon, of Center of NJ Life, recently attended a Corzine for governor rally. The interesting part of the post came when she admitted that it had been her first political rally. Fortunately, according to her commentary, it was a pretty good one, as any event with former president Bill Clinton would be. However, is Corzine truly worthy of one of Sharon's rare attendences? Is Corzine that inspiring, or are the Republicans simply that repugnant?

Either way, New Jersey voters seem oddly excited about Jon Corzine, a candidate who seems to be playing it pretty safe with the rhetoric lately. He leads by 10% in the latest polls and his unsatisfactory performance at the first debate hasn't seemed to harm him greatly.

What's more puzzling still is that New Jersey voters are generally unhappy with the state of their government. Only 50% of Democrats identified New Jersey as being on the right track, and only 32% of Independents and 27% of Republicans agreed.

These research firms should poll what percentage of each group hates Doug Forrester and the Republican Party. That seems to be the big number that is keeping the GOP out of Trenton.

6 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Ken Adams said...

Jack,

Why does it have to be hate with you left-of-center types? The Republicans don't hate Jon Corzine, but instead have contempt for his political views and actions. We disagree with Democrats over how best to run our government, but we don't hate you for that difference of opinion.
I think you should reconsider your line of questioning. I believe that Corzine's current lead is not due to anyone's feelings toward either candidate, it's simply the herd mentality of New Jersey voters. The press repeatedly portrays Corzine as the leader, so most people with an opinion say they will support the leader. It is telling, however, that Corzine regularly fails to garner over 50% support; we will have a real race come election day.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Sharon GR said...

I'd have to say it was the race that brought me. I got more involved in this political race than any before because I believe the stakes are higher.

I'm not thrilled with Corzine. I have questions and there are things he's said or done which I don't love. However, his platform and policy plans make more sense than Forrester's, and (to use Ken's words) I have contempt for Forrester's political views and political actions. I won't say I have contempt for him, though, because I don't. "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

The polls are getting closer. We may have a real race on election day.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Ken Adams said...

See, Jack, Sharon gets it. While I disagree with her politically, I can respect her choice because it is based on rational decisions about policies rather than hatred of the person. You have an opportunity to provide such an example among your young, left-of-center peers and help restore some dignity to political discourse. I hope you take advantage of the opportunity, and abandon hate-based discussions.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Thanks dad. But seriously, what part of my post dealt hate to anyone? I said I was surprised that NJ was so excited about Corzine, and that maybe it was because blue states such as NJ are not willing to elect Republicans right now. It's nice that you don't hate anyone, I like to think that I don't either. However, not all voters are as nice as you.

- Jersey Perspective

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Ken Adams said...

I didn't say you were dealing hate. I said that many of your peers do. You brought up the subject yourself (emphasis added): "These research firms should poll what percentage of each group hates Doug Forrester and the Republican Party. That seems to be the big number that is keeping the GOP out of Trenton."
You've demonstrated the ability to enage in conversation based on facts, not emotions rubbed raw. Many of the posters at places like MyDD and Daily Kos show no such inclination. You have an opportunity to influence them towards a more rational form of discourse. I'm just trying to encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger MyManMisterC said...

Listen to your dad, he's right. If you want halfwits, then make sure you post nice cartoons of Bush looking like a chimp, or McGreevey wearing lavander.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters Who Links Here Listed on BlogShares