Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cussing Poll

Apparently Americans don't swear as much as I thought they did, or at least they're embarassed too embarassed about their tendencies to be honest with pollsters.

Nevertheless, only 74% of adults say that they encounter profanity in public frequently or occassionally. That's not too surprising, as a fair portion of middle age or elderly adults have little interaction with the public outside of work. But what sticks out to me is the fact that only 8% of those polled admitted to using the F-word several times a day. I would be more likely to believe that 8% of the U.S. population uses the word several times per hour.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Ken Adams said...

Jack, I suspect that your own personal sample size may be a little small to make a broad conclusion. In my own circle of co-workers, I only encounter profanity on a regular basis from 2 of about 20 people with whom I talk every day. It's the same two every day.

Back when I was in my early 20's, the crowd I worked and played with was significanltly more loose with profanities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters Who Links Here Listed on BlogShares