Wednesday, January 11, 2006

On the air with Mark Levin

I was listening to WABC-770 AM here - to my most favorite host, Mark Levin. He's even more closed-minded and far more outlandish than Sean Hannity, but I have to concede that he is a fantastic radio host. Seriously. He plays to his conservative audience incredibly well, and he has confidence you can hear over the airwaves. In his mind, if you don't share his views, there is simply no way that you're remotely right. I've realized over the time I've sporadically listened to him that calling up and trying to disagree with him is like playing that basketball game on the boardwalk where the rim's diameter is smaller than the ball's. Even realizing this, I called him up tonight after being driven mad by his foolishness about how the Democrats were "abusing" and "harassing" Judge Alito with their questioning. Surprisingly, I got on.
Levin: Sam, go right ahead.

Me: Hey Mark, how are you? Alright, what kinds of questions do you think the Democrats should be asking Alito?

Levin: I've got a question for them to ask: "What time would you like to be sworn in?"

Me: Well, I agree he's a qualified man, but don't you agree that the Democrats have some role?

Levin: Yeah, they have a role. "What's your judicial philosophy?"---

Me: Nothing more specific than that, though?

Levin: What do you want from me? Thanks for the call.

::Click::
Again, Levin's outlandish, but I think that there is a significant number of people watching these hearings that would agree with him and say that critics or true questioners have no place in this process. Whether Alito is qualified or not, it's depressing and disheartening to think that that view is widely held, or held at all.

3 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Jim - PRS said...

I think their role is to determine whether he is qualified, by education, scholarship and experience to sit on the Supreme Court. Their role is not to do do their damndest to besmirch his character because he doesn't buy in to their agenda.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, a former ACLU lawyer, was confirmed without any of this nonsense.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Bookworm said...

I'm so out of it when it comes to non-print or non-internet media, I didn't even realize he has a show. Certainly those shows don't encourage analysis, just a sort of brutal repartee. I like him in print better than in speech.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger MyManMisterC said...

That's a hell of post guys, good work.

Certainly, dems like Edward Kennedy shouldn't be quarelling with the Chair of the committee on mail that was supposedly sent to their offices. And as Lindsey Graham said the other day, in regards to Alito's perceived evasiveness in answering questions, it will be interesting how forthcomning politicians are when the Abrahamoff hearings start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters Who Links Here Listed on BlogShares