Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hannity Gets Shamed

Shame on anyone who tries to minimize the extent of the suffering of the people down in New Orleans, crammed into the Superdome, the convention center, or hospital rooftops. Double or triple the dosage of shame to be served on Sean Hannity, a man I simply cannot stand to begin with, for following up literally tear-filled reports from a wiped out Sheppard Smith and an outraged and bewildered Geraldo Rivera by saying in an unemotional tone, "Let's get some perspective."

Watch the video of the beginning of last night's Hannity & Colmes at Crooks and Liars (wait for it to load) and see if you can defend this man. Besides the fact that Smith and Rivera give the two most emotionally honest reports I've seen in the many, many hours of coverage I've taken in over the last week, the clip is very revealing of Mr. Hannity. On his radio program, Sean - "a great American," according to his loving callers - regularly invokes the suffering of Iraqi women and children under the regime of Saddam Hussein when arguing about the merits of the Iraq war.

But yesterday, when he saw his faithful reporters get a little more personal than he may have liked, Sean couldn't have shown less empathy. When he saw the suffering in Geraldo's arms in the form of a 10-month-old baby boy and his young grandmother who was also looking for two other grandchildren, Sean didn't use his pseudo-sympathetic voice, or even his homely, welcoming voice reserved for Vermont Teddy Bear spots or Purina Dog Food commercials.

Sean Hannity is not a "great American" and he is not a great person, either. Give credit to his own reporters for making that so nakedly clear.

5 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger wfoley said...

Thanks for pointing to the video, which was extraordinary. As far as Hannity went, I actually thought he was more reasonable than normal, which isn't saying a lot.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. You've managed to irresponsibly use an extremely moving news clip to advance your own political goal of tarnishing the image of a media conservative. Hannity may or may not be the most compassionate man in the world; however he did nothing in this video to suggest that he is indifferent to the plight of the hurricane victims in New Orleans. Katrina should remain an apolitical issue, just as Geralo said. I suggest you rewatch the clip and apologize for politicizing this terrible catastrophe.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jack said...

I think calling Hannity a conservative implies that he is in some way resonable.

- Jersey Perspective

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Anonymous -

I'm sorry that I offended you. Sean Hannity is a "journalist" whom I find to be disingenuous and a disservice to the public. He rarely veers from Republican Party talking points and is an incredibly polarizing figure who sees things in black and white only (that is not meant in the racial sense). I noted in my post that the reports by Smith and Rivera that I linked to were "the two most emotionally honest reports" I had seen on the story to date, and I have been very impressed by Fox's coverage over the last week.

Perhaps I saw Hannity's asking Sheppard Smith to "get a little perspective" (or whatever words he used) differently from others. That's certainly possible. But by no means did I mean to politicize this tragedy, and if you could speak with me in person, you'd know that's as far from my goals as possible. I see no need to apologize, expect for the fact that I raised in your mind the potential that I might not be taking this horror seriously. I am.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger MyManMisterC said...

I have mixed feelings on Fox News. While I lean more right than left, I think their field reporters did a fine job while those who host programs were so in love with themselves it wasn't funny.

Although, see what I have to say about Geraldo on my blog, I think the man has gone off the deep end. Calling the 82nd Airborne his friends and claiming he served with them is outrageous. My brother served with the 82nd in Iraw and Afghanistan and ran 4 battalions, Geraldo wasn't on his roster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters Who Links Here Listed on BlogShares